HRM 531 Week 5 Quiz -
1. This type of management style is often associated with organizations in the embryonic stage.
- Growth director
- Movers and shakers
2. When implementing recruitment activities, initial consideration should be given to a company's __________, especially for filling jobs above the entry level.
- women workforce
- foreign subsidiaries
- minority groups
- current employees
3. The role of organizational culture in staffing is best applied if companies
- staff only those who fit into the profile of the organization’s culture
- staffing decisions are independent of organizational culture
- avoid hiring only those who fit the specifics of the organization’s culture
- actively seek out those individuals who have values contrary to the organization’s culture
4. A soft-quota system
- represents a mandate to hire specific numbers of women or minority group members
- systematically favors women and minorities in hiring and promotion decisions
- is a commitment to treat all races and sexes equally in all decisions about hiring, promotion, and pay
- fails to recognize that discriminatory practices in the past may block prospective applicants from seeking present job opportunities
5. Recruitment begins by specifying __________, which are the typical result of job analysis and workforce planning activities.
- human resource requirements
- strategic imperatives
- affirmative action candidates
- pay grades
6. The information least likely to be obtained in reference checks and recommendations is
- a description of the applicant’s physical attractiveness
- education and employment history
- character and interpersonal competence
- willingness of a previous employer to rehire the applicant
7. Promotion-from-within policies must ______________, coupled with a company philosophy that permits employees to consider available opportunities within the organization.
- anticipate training needs
- respect seniority positions
- include incentives to keep employees in their current positions
- receive strong top-management support
8. Which of the following statements about an aging organization is true?
- It is concerned with building excellence in the management teams.
- It is characterized by a heavy emphasis on product engineering.
- It demands extreme cost control through consistency and centralized procedures.
- It emphasizes the generation of cash to develop new product lines.
9. Which of the following is a concerted effort by the organization to actively expand the pool of applicants so that no one is excluded because of past or present discrimination?
- Passive nondiscrimination
- Pure diversity-based recruitment
- Diversity-based recruitment with preferential hiring
- Hard quotas
10. _________ affect recruitment policies because firms often give preference to current employees in promotions, transfers, and other career-enhancing opportunities.
- Labor market characteristics
- EEOC guidelines
- Internal labor markets
- Union employee percentages
11. Which law gives students the legal right to see all letters of recommendation written about them and also permits release of information about a student only to people approved by the student at the time of the request?
- Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act (1990)
- Equal Educational Opportunities Act (1974)
- Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (1974)
- Protection of Pupil Rights Amendment (1978)
12. Typically, the first step in an employee's introduction to company policies, practices, and benefits is a(n) _________ program.
- initial screening
- intensive training program
13. Which of the following statements about a company using a passive nondiscrimination posture is true?
- No attempt is made by the company to recruit actively among prospective minority applicants.
- It systematically favors women and minorities in hiring and promotion decisions.
- This posture recognizes that discriminatory practices in the past may block prospective applicants from seeking present job opportunities.
- It is a concerted effort by the organization to actively expand the pool of applicants so that no one is excluded because of past or present discrimination.
14. The step following recruitment is ________, which is basically a rapid, rough selection process.
- initial screening
- workforce planning
- performance management
15. Which act requires third-party investigators to secure the applicant’s written consent prior to doing a background check?
- Fair Labor Standards Act (1938)
- Fair Credit Reporting Act (1970)
- Equal Credit Opportunity Act (1974)
- Gramm–Leach–Bliley Act (1999)