LAW 531 Week 6 Knowledge Check -
1. What is true of the Foreign Commerce Clause in the context of the United States and foreign affairs?
- It does not encompass state and local laws.
- It gives the federal government exclusive power over foreign affairs.
- It prohibits multilateral treaties.
- It authorizes Congress to regulate commerce with foreign nations.
2. The country of Elamia has added a new feature to its constitution. This feature gives power to the central government to enter into treaties with foreign countries. It does not give this power to state governments. In addition, this feature states that any local law that goes against a centrally-formed treaty will be canceled. Which part of the U.S. Constitution does Elamia's new constitutional feature closely resemble?
- Treaty Clause
- Foreign Commerce Clause
- Bilateral Treaty Clause
- North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA)
3. In the context of the United States and foreign affairs, treaties _____.
- can only be formed between two nations
- can only be formed only if sponsored by international organizations
- are considered equal to lawmaking at the international level
- can be formed even by local governments
4. The International Court of Justice _____.
- hears cases related to individuals and businesses
- hears cases involving nations
- is composed of five judges
- is located in Geneva
5. What is true in the context of the European Union (EU)?
- The European Union Commission is independent of its member nations.
- The Council of Ministers is composed of representatives from only five member countries.
- All major decisions of the Council of Ministers require unanimity and no changes in the treaty are made based only on a majority vote.
- All EU member countries have voted to use the euro.
6. The World Trade Organization (WTO) implements various rounds of negotiations among its membership. Through these rounds, it aims to achieve major reform of the international trading system. What is the fundamental objective of the Doha Round of the World Trade Organization (WTO)?
- To increase trade barriers
- To resolve trade disputes arising from contracts
- To improve trade prospects of developing countries
- To issue panel reports in dispute cases
7. What is the correct statement in the context of Hindu law?
- Anglo-Hindu law was adopted in India, post its independence.
- Classical Hindu Law rests on the works of private scholars.
- Hindu law is not codified in any country.
- Hindu law is predominantly based on court decisions.
8. Which international religious law is based on the ideology and theology of the Torah?
- Islamic law
- Jewish law
- Hindu law
- Christian law
9. Ayub is an owner of a business that deals with the manufacture and sale of silk rugs. According to Islamic law, which of the following would most likely apply to Ayub, if riba was prohibited?
- Ayub would be able to pay interest on loans.
- Ayub would not be able to make any profits from the sale of his rugs.
- Ayub would not be allowed to make any unjustified profits.
- Ayub would not be permitted to earn profits from any services provided by him.