EDU 5000 Week 3 Compare and Contrast Using APA Style -
Skills Builder 1: Understanding Academic Integrity
You are expected to read and understand the Northcentral Academic Integrity Policy requirements, and then follow them carefully throughout your course of study at
Northcentral. Violations of these standards, whether intentional or unintentional, are reported by course instructors to the Dean’s Office, and a series of consequences follow, ranging from a warning and the opportunity to resubmit the paper (first violation only), grade penalties for the assignment, course failures, and dismissal from theUniversity. To become familiar with these standards, complete the following:
1. Read the Northcentral Academic Integrity Policy.
2. Review the Northcentral Academic Integrity Tutorial. The Academic Integrity tutorial explains the NCU Academic Integrity Policy in greater depth and will direct you to resources that will help you learn the necessary skills to maintain integrity in academic writing.
3. Complete the Northcentral Academic Integrity Questionnaire. Test your knowledge of the Northcentral Academic Integrity Policy by completing this questionnaire.
4. Review the information at Plagiarism.org for some useful information on how to avoid plagiarism. As you write, use this information as a reference.
5. Review the information related to paraphrasing at the Plagiarism.org How to Paraphrase webpage.
6. Watch the presentation from Dr. Branden Henline, the former Dean of the School of Marriage and Family Sciences, regarding Writing with Integrity. Advance the
Prezi transitions by clicking on the arrows at the bottom of the screen.
Skills Builder 2: Understanding the Basics of APA Formatting
It is also necessary to learn about correct APA Form and Style. The Publication Manual of the American Psychological Association is the gold standard for professional and academic writing and is the style used at Northcentral. We strongly urge you to use this Manual as you complete the Basics of APA Style tutorial. Mastering APA form and style takes time, and there is no time like the present to begin! For starters, you will review some of the basic APA writing rules, especially those that apply to citation and references.
1. Complete the Basics of APA Style Tutorial (Note: The sample papers and references can be very helpful as you learn the APA Style.)
2. Questions? If you have a question about using APA form and style that you cannot resolve by looking in the manual, it is possible other people have questions on this same issue. Bookmark the Frequently Asked Questions about APA Style site.
Skills Builder 3: Avoiding Plagiarism
Complete a brief quiz designed to give you some practice with paraphrasing and avoiding plagiarism. This quiz provides valuable practice, so you are urged to complete it before attempting the assignment for this week. The quiz allows you to take as much time with the concepts as you need to and it helps you to apply the information that you acquired in Steps 1 and 2. Complete the Avoiding Plagiarism Quiz. When you have answered all of the questions, click Submit. Later, you will receive, at the e-mail address you provided, the answers to the quiz so that you can review them and gain as much knowledge and practical application experience as possible.
Read the Lourenco (2012) article (included below) for the primary information to complete the paper.
Write a paper that includes each of the following topics of discussion while using appropriate APA format and citations:
A brief summary of the theories of Piaget and Vygotsky
Similarities in the theories of Piaget and Vygotsky
Differences between the theories of Piaget and Vygotsky
What can be gained by a better understanding of these theories